Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Oil painting, small and quick(er)

Apple from life
6x6 oil on board

I started a new weekly painting class today. I am blessed to live in an area where there are many great artists. A few years ago I took some drawing classes with Susan Hope Fogel. Today I started her weekly painting class. I want to focus on oil painting, fast and loose. So today was an apple, a perfect starting place for me. The painting class is from a real life set-ups. I have limited experience with real-life painting.

I don't have the room to do live set-ups in my home studio. I paint from photos except when I do plein air painting. I know that painting from real life will improve my from-photo paintings as the camera cannot see all the color and values that our own eyes can see. The camera also flattens objects. 


Since this is a once-a-week class, I plan to also paint at home between classes, probably using photos, unless I can find room to set up for real-life painting.